We’re a family-run working hill farm in St John’s in the Vale, just outside of Keswick in the Lake District.
Fornside Farm is a typical 17th century family-run Lakeland hill farm. We are peacefully located in St John’s in the Vale, a beautiful secluded valley, yet within easy reach of Keswick, Grasmere, Ambleside and all the other attractions of the English Lake District National Park.
We have four self catering holiday cottages beautifully converted from stone barns alongside the traditional farmhouse. They provide spacious accommodation of a very high standard retaining many original stone barn features. The accommodation is well equipped, warm, and welcoming with full central heating included in the price — and completely under your control.
Fornside Farm Cottages enjoy a stunning location at the foot of the Helvellyn range surrounded by dramatic Lakeland scenery. We have created a private farm trail to help you enjoy our woods, fields, streams, wildlife and fantastic views.
We are on hand to offer advice on activities and places to eat, but are just as happy to leave you to enjoy a relaxing holiday here at the farm.
The farm is set back from the road with direct private access to the fells. We farm 75 acres of beautiful countryside with spectacular views. The fields surrounding the farm are home to our livestock. We farm sheep and free range hens. We also keep ducks, a horse, a pony, and various cats and dogs. Guests are welcome to meet and feed our animals, and depending on the time of year can even help around the farm.
Most of our sheep are Herdwicks, the traditional Lake District breed, famed for their hardiness. Herdwick lambs are born black and their fleeces lighten as they grow older.
Our lambs are born during April, and throughout that period you will be welcome to check progress in the lambing shed. You may see a lamb being born, and can help with bottle feeding any orphans. We sell most of our lambs direct from the farm or by mail order.
Our hens are free range and we can usually provide you with the freshest eggs possible, laid by hens with probably the best views in the country.
10 reasons to stay at Fornside Farm
1. The place is truly is idyllic and a welcome relief from the hustle and bustle of modern life.
2. The location is extremely handy with everything within easy reach of Keswick, Grasmere, Ambleside and all the other attractions of the English Lake District National Park.
3. You can start walking in the hills from the back doorstep. The mountains directly behind the farm and the valley with all its animals and meandering river in front keep you captivated for hours, truly beautiful.
4. There is a private farm trail to help you enjoy our woods, fields, streams, wildlife and fantastic views.
5. Spectacular views, simply look out of any window and you get a postcard view.
6. The cottages are spacious, spotlessly clean and well equipped with everything you could possibly need.
7. Warm and friendly hosts, Pam & Robert Hall, on hand to offer advice on activities and places to eat should you wish.
8. Ample parking right outside the holiday cottages.
9. There are fresh eggs available to buy, some of which are enormous. And very delicious.
10. Visitors are welcome to meet and feed our animals, and depending on the time of year can even help around the farm.
Four idyllic self catering farm cottages within easy reach of everything Keswick and the Lakes has to offer.
A collection of photos showcasing our farm, animals and the stunning scenery surrounding us in St John’s in a Vale.
We sell seasonal, well hung Herdwick lamb with unmatched flavour. Professionally butchered and delivered to your door.
We make and sell a wide range of woollen products working mainly in wool from our own sheep here at Fornside Farm.